Agricultural Calcium Ammonium Nitrate Security Code of Practice
Fertilizer Canada created the Agricultural Calcium Ammonium Nitrate Security Code of Practice (the CAN Code) to provide uniform security practices for the handling and storage of calcium ammonium nitrate (CAN) used in Canada. The CAN Code was developed by fertilizer manufacturers, distributors and agri-retailers, with input from relevant government agencies.
The Calcium Ammonium Nitrate Security Code of Practice provides best practices for safe and secure calcium ammonium nitrate storage.
The intention of the Code is to assist shippers, sellers, handlers, customers and end-users of calcium ammonium nitrate to become aware of and to assist their compliance with the regulatory environment.
Third party audits are required to be compliant with the CAN Code of Practice. AWSA is pleased to partner with Fertilizer Canada as the exclusive Code auditing provider. AWSA’s experience in managing other similar programs coupled with AWSA’s trained auditors creates an excellent partnership.
What is CAN?
CAN is defined under this Code as:
Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN): A fertilizer containing as its essential ingredients only AN and calcium carbonate (for instance limestone) and/or magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate (for instance dolomite), prepared as a homogenous prill or granule, which:
- Has a maximum combustible material content, expressed as carbon, of 0.4% be weight; and
- Has a minimum content of carbonates of 20% by weight with a purity level of 90% by weight
What products does the code apply to?
The CAN Code applies to all dry, solid products which will be used for agriculture and which meet the following criteria:
- Are designated as CAN as per the definition above and have a total AN content greater than 70% but less than 80% by weight; or
- Are mixtures/blends containing CAN as defined above and where the total AN content of the mixture/blend contains greater than 70% but less than 80% AN; or
- Are physical mixtures of ammonium nitrate and carbonates giving the same average chemical composition as the definition above where the total ammonium nitrate content of the mixture contains greater than 70% but less than 80% ammonium nitrate.
What does the code apply to?
The CAN Code applies to all facilities and operations directly involved with the use, transport, storage, handling, and sale of CAN. Specifically, the CAN Code applies both to bulk and bagged sales, distribution, and purchases of CAN. The CAN Code has been developed to assist storage and handling operations to assess their security risks and consider appropriate action to mitigate them. Agricultural end-users and manufacturers are exempt from the audit requirement.
The CAN Code does not apply to CAN for end-users outside of agriculture (i.e. industrial end-use).